When I was still at my previous blog, I formed what’s known as a 101 in 1,001 list. My inspiration came from Kate of Living Colorfully in Copenhagen, who describes it thus:
[101 in 1,001 is] a happy medium between a to-do list and a bucket list. Over the next 1,001 days (or 2.75 years) I will be crossing and checking each item off of my list, making regular progress towards meeting my longer term goals.
After reading her list, I completely fell in love with the idea and have been working on mine ever since! Naturally, I felt I should share it with you all.
Notice that one of my items is to inspire three others to write lists of their own! If you find yourself inspired, why not sit down and write one?
101 in 1,001 | For the Sake of Good Taste
Start date: 21 August 2015
End date: 18 May 2018
Write my 101 in 1,001.
- Visit at least five museums I’ve yet to check out in Gettysburg. (1/5; Seminary Ridge Museum)
Try 15 new restaurants.(15/15 The Ragged Edge (Gettysburg, PA), VLife (New York, NY), White Castle (New York, NY), Waldo’s (Gettysburg, PA), Christine’s Cafe (Gettysburg, PA), The Green Rocket Cafe (Bath, UK), Zizzi Italian (Stratford-Upon-Avon and Cardiff, UK), The Boater (Bath, UK), The Orchard (Frederick, MD), Jane Austen Regency Tearoom (Bath, UK), Acorn (Bath, UK), Boston Tea Party (Bath and Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK), Kazbar (Oxford, UK), The Varsity Club (Oxford, UK), The Swan (London, UK). Visit a place for the first time.(About a dozen or so spots throughout the UK!) Edit a book.
- Post 150 blog posts.
Get an internship
- Take a dance class.
Try at least 3 new clubs/activities.(3/3; The Mercury Literary Journal, Her Campus, Active Minds) Update journal at least 60 times.
- Take 101 pictures (of actual neat things, not just 50 candid pet shots).
- Write 25 letters. (11/25)
- Keep in touch with at least 3 people from freshman year.
Try twenty new recipes.
- Get Nanny and Pop back to Gettysburg.
Have a non-journalistic piece published.(Check out my writing website to see for yourself!) Make Dean’s list again.(Spring 2017)
- Make and keep at least five new friends.
But a really nice pair of shoes. Own something from Tiffany and Co.
- See another show on Broadway.
- Finish War and Peace and Anna Karenina.
- Rewatch the Harry Potter and original Star Wars series.
Finish (or be caught up on) five TV series.(5/5; F.R.I.E.N.D.S, Bob’s Burgers, The Tudors, How I Met Your Mother, Pretty Little Liars) Help Rachel transition to high school. Officially declare my public history minor. Get a smartphone.
- Play a game of Monopoly properly.
Have a 21st birthday party.
- Find a signature recipe.
- Get business cards made.
- Have $1,000 or more in savings.
Go on a solo trip.
- Get my gun license.
- Finish at least 101 books. (24/101; The Red Pony – John Steinbeck, After the Lost War – Andrew Hudgins, History is in the Land – T.J. Ferguson, Allegiant – Veronica Roth, Social Media – J Wolf, The Hospital on Seminary Ridge at the Battle of Gettysburg, Notes and Views of the War – Dr. James Fulton, You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine – Alexandra Kleeman, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? – Mindy Kaling, Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Truman Capote, Vegetarian Quick & Easy – Jonathan Vine, Harry Potter & the Cursed Child – John Tiffany, Vegan: Delicious Low Carb Italian Recipes – Sam Kuma, Self Help: To Be Me at My Best – Odelia Alexandrovitch, Frankenstein – Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, Adulthood is a Myth – Sarah Anderson, Andrew’s Brain – E.L. Doctorow, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay – Michael Chabon, Sara Baartman and the Hottentot Venus – Clifton Crais, The Time Machine – H.G. Wells, Northanger Abbey – Jane Austen, The Two Gentleman of Verona – William Shakespeare, Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen, The Merchant of Venice – William Shakespeare)
- Visit the Cashtown Inn.
- Learn a new skill.
- Be ready to graduate from Gettysburg College.
- Successfully run a 5K.
- Meet someone famous.
Take a group of friends on a paranormal investigation. Make a really good batch of cookies. Make someone’s day.
- See five “must-see” movies for the first time.
- Beat a video game.
- Find out my blood type.
Ride a horse.
- Take a self-defence class.
Adopt a rescue pet.(read all about my kitten, Fitz!) Give a waiter a great tip for a job well done.
- Make pasta from scratch.
- Go to an MLB game.
- KonMari my life.
Watch a sunrise.
- Buy something without looking at the price tag.
- Memorise at least three poems.
Make homemade hummus.
- Go to the farmer’s market.
- Take a formal tour of the battlefield again.
Visit a new historic site.(Stonehenge, UK)
- Feature three guest posts.
- Guest post on two other blogs.
- Solve a health issue.
- Go to church at least 10 times.
- Attend a reading at the Ragged Edge.
Write & send thank-you notes.
- Be in top 20 of Gettysburg reviewers on Trip Advisor.
Comment on 25 different blogs.
- Make homemade salad dressing.
Get a passport.
- Go to three Bullets sporting events.
- Vary passwords and update log accordingly.
Buy an “actual” lottery ticket.
- List items in my dorm and at home.
- Send someone flowers.
- Tour the Yuengling brewery.
- Go to Knoebel’s.
Successfully wear heels.
- Back up my computer to an external hard drive.
- Read Jane Austen’s complete works.
- DIY something.
Get a credit card.
- Eat an orchard-fresh apple.
- Learn how to ride a bike.
Make a Pinterest recipe (successfully).
- Make a (real) will.
Have my name legally changed.
- Learn how to play chess.
- Return to the Renaissance Faire.
- Go to a concert.
- Complete photo albums.
- Get a period photo taken in town.
- Spend a day watching Disney movies.
- Pet-sit for someone.
- Put $5 into savings for each item crossed off.
- Blog about a minimum of 50 of these.
- Try five new hairstyles.
- Inspire three others to make a 101 in 1,001 list.
- Finish all 101 items.
So, ready to make a 101 in 1,001 list of your own? Let me know!
Want to help me with mine, but don’t feel like writing your own? If you’re a blogger, why not guest post here on For the Sake of Good Taste, or ask for a post for your site?